Like every other social event, online chat rooms have their own set of rules which should be followed to ensure everyone has a good time. This 21st century form of socializing comes with its set of perks and risks. By following a few simple rules, you can have a good time meeting interesting people online.
· Whenever you log in or sign out, always remember to greet people and let them know if you are just logging in or leaving the room.
· The chat room is not a place for abusing others. Do not send abusive or explicit messages to anyone as it will backfire and work against you.
· Clearly state every point you want to get across. Other people cannot read your emotions through an IM. Avoid being sarcastic and skeptical while talking to people. Stay patient with others as they also want to leave a good impression on you.
· Do not type in caps as in the internet world, it means that you are yelling. It is considered very rude and inappropriate.
· Don’t spam everyone’s IM with the same links and questions. If you wish to have a more private chat with a particular person, ask for permission first.
· When you are talking to a stranger, remember that nobody gives out information to strangers. Exercise discretion before asking any question and respect each other’s space.
· Always be honest about your age, looks and financial background but never give out any personal information like phone numbers, work and home addresses or email ids to anyone in the chat room.
Whether you are chatting online to have a good time, find friends or love, maintaining a good equation with others and showing respect will do more good than bad. Etiquette and behavior in the virtual world should be the same as in the real world.